Vapers rejoice as President Trump vetoes flavour ban sign-off
US vapers finally have some cause for celebration after President Trump refused to sign-off a federal flavour ban
The Trump administration originally prepared the ban the sale of e-liquids in September and was awaiting guidelines from the FDA before introducing the ban at federal level.
The president’s stance on vaping was originally supported by his wife Melania and daughter Ivanka, who voiced concern over the ‘vaping epidemic.’
However, he refused to sign the memo that would move the ban forward earlier this month.
According to the Washington Post, an anonymous senior administration official said:
“He didn’t know much about the issue and was just doing it for Melania and Ivanka”
Another anonymous adviser speaking to the Post said that Trump was beginning to have second thoughts after considering the job losses the ban could result in.
This could hurt both the economy and his chances of running for another term in next years’ election.
Protesters bearing the slogan ‘#WeVapeWeVote’ may have influenced Trump’s decision to reconsider going forth with the ban.
The ban on flavoured e-liquids was originally intended to stop children from picking up e-cigarettes.
Flavoured vapes were blamed for supposedly enticing children to start vaping, getting them addicted and leaving them with lung damage.
Several cities and states have already introduced flavour bans, including Michigan, New York and the city of San Francisco.
This is not necessarily the end of a federal flavour ban. White House spokesman Judd Deere said in a press email:
“President Trump and this administration are committed to responsibly protecting the health of children. At this time, we are in an ongoing rulemaking process, and I will not speculate on the final outcome”
This only the latest battle in the war for adults’ rights to products to save their own lives. We’ve been heard. But so many need to be educated that #vapingsaveslives– The New York Times https://t.co/tOE8iryQYQ
— KC Jaxrabbit (@jaxrabbit) November 18, 2019
While this is awesome, the last thing we want to do is get complacent now. There’s state battles and we need to demand that the WH still has meetings with industry to address the broken PMTA process that could kill businesses next year. We also need to combat the fear mongering. https://t.co/9tnyshcHDq
— Matt Culley (@MattFromSMM) November 18, 2019
Trump Backs Off Flavor Ban for E-Cigarettes https://t.co/3xqiVPJFxo YOU HEARD IT WOULD LOSE YOU VOTES POTUS, SO YOU DECIDED TO LET MORE YOUNG PEOPLE DIE, SO YOU WOULDN'T LOSE A SINGLE VOTE. SLEEP TIGHT, SWEET DREAMS, YOU MONSTER MORON.
— Linda Thorson (@Thor1847) November 18, 2019